spoon

Recao: The base of Puerto Rican Cooking

Category:

Recao is a basic green seasoning mix made from fresh herbs and vegetables. Everyone has their own special recipe for their homemade recao and I hope that you have fun taking this and spicing it to your taste.

1 Large Spanish Onion. peeled and quatered
2 Green Bell Peppers
1 bunch of Cilantro leaves, chopped
1 bunch of Culantro leaves, chopped
3/4 pound aji dulce, seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 roasted pimento
1/4 pound garlic cloves, peeled

Now I could be old school and tell you to pull out your mortar and pestle. But I think I mentioned I'm Nuyorican, which means I've let modern technology and sheer laziness corrupt me. Basically I leave the mortar and pestle for small jobs and whip out a blender or food processor for larger jobs.

This is all going into the blender until smooth. So chop or cut accordingly. This is then poured into a container and used over the course of a week (refrigerated) to flavor everything from meat to stews. Some people fill ice trays as freezing will keep for a longer amount of time.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment